Before you travel

Frequently asked questionsOn this page we have summarized some of the questions we are frequently asked about steps to take before traveling to Kiel and provided answers. Please check first whether your request can be answered in this way. If this is not the case, please contact the responsible academic advisor, our Service Center or our Examination Office.

Please note that this is an international degree program with applicants from Germany, the EU and non-European countries. Prospective students from the different countries sometimes have different questions. Therefore, do not be surprised if individual FAQs are not relevant to you personally.

REST-Directive registration and visa matters

You will need to register with the REST-Directive at least 30 days prior to your arrival in Germany. This allows non-EU student to reside and study in Germany without a residence permit if they hold a residence permit from another EU state (to a maximum of 360 days). Please contact Kiel University’s International Center to start your registration. They will need a copy of your passport as well as your current visa status in France. Please contact them about all your visa matters and inform them especially, if your stay is going to exceed 360 days. It is then mandatory for you to apply for a national visa.

Please check this website (IC) for more information.

Blocked Account
International students from a non-EU or non-EEA country not covered by the REST-Directive must open a blocked account to secure sufficient financial resources (Finanzierungsnachweis) to cover their living expenses in Germany. See here.
Campus location

The Faculty of Engineering is located off the Main Campus. See here for maps. 


Access to housing in Kiel is difficult. Since there are many students in this city, the need for student housing – rooms in residence halls, rooms in a shared apartment or private apartments - is much greater than the offer of suitable housing. It is therefore a very good idea to look for accommodation early! There will be some assistance through the University's International Center, but you will have to arrange accommodation by yourself.

See this website for options.

If you want to apply for accommodation in one of the Studentenwerk's halls of residence, you will find the corresponding application form on the website of the Studentenwerk.


Important: Please use the field ‘hints’ during your application to leave the following comment: “Erasmus+ E-Pico student, admission confirmed”.


Please send a certificate of enrollment (Studienbescheinigung) as proof of housing eligibility to the following address after successful enrollment and confirmed housing in one of the dorms:


Please note that rooms in residence halls of the Studentenwerk are not allowed for quarantine. If you rent a room in residence hall, you thus will need another accommodation for quarantine – if currently required - before you will be allowed to move to the residence hall.


Bio-inspired Computation

  • color_key Prof. Dr. Jan Steinkühler

  • color_key Prof. Dr. Stephan Pachnicke
Computational Electromagnetics

  • color_key Prof. Dr. Ludger Klinkenbusch
Digital Signal Processing and System Theory

  • color_key Prof. Dr. Gerhard Schmidt
Information and Coding Theory

  • color_key Prof. Dr. Peter A. Höher
Integrated Systems and Photonics

  • color_key Prof. Dr. Martina Gerken
Microwave Engineering

  • color_key Prof. Dr. Michael Höft

  • color_key Prof. Dr. Hermann Kohlstedt
Networked Electronic Systems

  • color_key Prof. Dr. Robert Rieger
Power Electronics

  • color_key Prof. Dr. Marco Liserre
Theoretical Electrical Engineering

  • color_key Prof. Dr. Jan Trieschmann