Doctoral Degrees and Habilitation
The Faculty of Engineering awards the academic title of Doktor-Ingenieurin or Doktor-Ingenieur (Dr.-Ing.), or upon application, Doktorin or Doktor der Naturwissenschaften (Dr. rer. Nat.), based on a dissertation (scientific paper) and an oral defence of the doctoral dissertation (disputation). Completion of the doctoral dissertation and the defence of the doctoral dissertation (disputation) shall be accepted as evidence of particular competence for advanced independent scientific work.
new Doctoral Degree Regulations as from 28.09.2012
Exceptions for the Faculty of Engineering in accordance with Section 28
- Deviation Section 20 (1): The Faculty Convention made a unanimous decision in the meeting on 16.01.2013, following prior consent by the Doctoral Degree Committee, to undertake the obligation after the disputation has been passed. pdf
- Deviation Section 14 (5): The Faculty Convention made a unanimous decision in the meeting on 23.01.2013, following prior consent by the Doctoral Degree Committee, to deviate from the ‘ceremonial awarding of the certificate’ as per the Doctoral Degree Regulations. pdf
(English Version - for information purposes only. German Original is binding!)
- Application for acceptance as a doctoral candidate, Application, Supervision of a doctoral project
- Application for admission to the doctoral examination procedure (submission of a dissertation), Application, Proposed second assessor, Documents for an application to the doctoral examination procedure
- It is also possible for graduates from universities of applied sciences with a Diploma qualification to be admitted to a doctoral degree under certain conditions. For more information please refer to the relevant Doctoral Degree Regulations higher up the page.
The Faculty of Engineering provides the opportunity of proving the ability to conduct independent research and teaching at a scientific university by means of a habilitation. With a habilitation, the Faculty of Engineering awards the right to include “habilitatus” (abbreviated to “habil.”) in addition to the doctor’s title if it corresponds to a doctor’s title awarded by the Faculty of Engineering. Habilitation graduates who are not doctoral degree graduates have the right to use the academic title “Dr. habil.”.
Habilitation Regulations for the Faculty of Engineering from 2006
List of previous Habilitation Procedures
For further informations please take a look at the german site Promotionen und Habilitationen.